Residence permit for family reunification


Non-EU nationals may maintain the unity of their family or apply for family reunification provided that they hold an EC residence permit for long-term residents or a residence permit for work, asylum, study, religion or family purposes.

Application for family reunification

When applying for family reunification you must fill out these forms and submit them to the Immigration Desk - Sportello Unico per l'Immigrazione at the 'Prefettura' of the province where you reside. You may apply for reunification with the following family members:

  • spouse not legally separated and not being under 18 years of age;
  • unmarried minor children (under 18 years of age) born to you or your spouse within or out of wedlock, upon consent of the other parent, if any;
  • adult children (over 18 years of age) if they are financially dependent on you or cannot provide for their own needs because of their health conditions implying total disability;
  • financially dependent parents who have not any other children in their country of origin or residence, or parents over 65 years of age whose other children are unable to support them financially because of serious health problems duly certified.

Since 10 April 2008 the Immigration Desk - 'Sportello Unico per l'Immigrazione' has adopted a new online procedure to apply for reunification. Applications are now accepted only if submitted through the Internet.

Minor children

If you reside legally in Italy you can have your children included in your residence permit and/or that of your spouse provided they are under the age of 14.

After the age of 14, minor children may be granted either a separate residence permit for family reasons valid until they reach 18 years of age or a long-term residence card.

After they have reached the age of 18, children are entitled to renew their residence permits for the same duration as their parents' s. The same right apply to minors under guardianship.

After they have reached the age of 18, foreign nationals meeting relevant requirements will obtain a different type of residence permit (study, registration at the employment office, employment, or self-employment).

(modificato il 05/02/2009)
Parole chiave: