EC residence permit for long-term residents


Since 8 January 2007, the permanent residence card ("carta di soggiorno") has been replaced by the EC residence permit for long-term residents.

The new permit is permanent. You are entitled to apply for it only if you have been legally and continuously resident in Italy for five years. You can present your application either at the Post Office ("Uffici postali") or at the designated Municipal office (pdf 13 Kb) ("Comune") or at other authorized offices (pdf 2 Mb) ("Patronati"): in the last two cases you do not need to use the postal "application kit".

Your application must include:

  • a copy of your valid passport or equivalent travel document;
  • a copy of your income tax statement bearing evidence that you have a minimum income higher than the social allowance ("assegno sociale"). For domestic workers and caregivers: INPS (National Social Welfare Institution) payment receipts or INPS itemized statements;
  • criminal records and pending charges;
  • evidence of appropriate accommodation, if the application being submitted includes family members;
  • copies of pay slips for the current year;
  • residence and family certification;
  • postal receipt for payment of the electronic residence permit (€27.50);
  • a €14.62 electronic revenue stamp.

The cost of the recorded delivery is €30.

EC residence permit should not be issued to those who are considered a threat to public order and State security.

The application can be submitted also for:

  • the spouse if not legally separated or under 18 years of age;
  • minor children, including children of the spouse or children born out of the wedlock;
  • dependent children over 18 who are not self- supporting due to their health conditions resulting in permanent inability to earn their living;
  • dependent parents.

In order to obtain long-term resident status for your family members, your application must also include the following additional documents:

  • Evidence that your annual income support is sufficient to maintain yourself and all the members of your family. If you apply for two or more children aged under 14, our annual income must be twice the annual amount of the social allowance ("assegno sociale").
  • Certificates attesting your family relationship. All foreign documents must be translated into Italian, legalized and certified by the competent Italian Consulate in the country of origin or residence of your family member or members.

EC long-term residence permit entitles you to:

  • enter Italy without a visa;
  • work;
  • enjoy social benefits and social services supplied by the Italian government;
  • participate in local public life.

If you hold an EC long-term residence permit issued by another member State, you are entitled to reside in Italy for a period exceeding 3 months on the following grounds:

  • regular employment or self-employment;
  • attendance of courses of study or vocational training;
  • residence, provided that you prove to have stable and sufficient funds (your income must be over twice the minimum wage exempted from national health care contributions) and that you are covered by a private health insurance for the duration of your stay in Italy. In this case, you obtain a residence permit valid for Italy, renewable on expiration (circular letter of 16 Feb. 2010), while your family members obtain a residence permit for family purposes.

Exclusions and refusals

You cannot apply for an EC long-term residence permit on the following grounds:

  • study or vocational training and scientific research;
  • temporary protection or other humanitarian grounds;
  • asylum or when awaiting a decision for recognition as a refugee;
  • if you are a holder of a short-term residence permit;
  • if you hold a diplomatic, official and service passport, or hold laissez-passer issued by international organizations of a universal character.

Your EC long-term residence permit may be revoked in the following cases:

  • You have acquired it fraudulently.
  • An expulsion measure has been adopted against you.
  • You no longer fulfil the requirements set for its issue.
  • You have been absent from the territory of the European Union for a period of 12 consecutive months.
  • You have acquired long-term resident status in another European Union member State
  • You have been absent from Italy for a period exceeding 6 years.
Parole chiave: